Nov 22, 2009

Sticks and more sticks.



Giles (pronounced: heelays), are sticks of about 3 to 5 cm thick (+/- 1.5”), 3 to 4 meters long and are sold in bundles of 10 for 95 pesos.

Giles are one of the essential building materials in Mayan style construction. They are part of what makes up the thatched roofs of all palapas, from the smallest beach umbrellas to large meeting halls. After the post and pole framework goes up, a lattice of these sticks are added and on these, the grass is attached.
Giles are also used to make decorative fences and walls.
This is what we have been up to this week. Ever since we built the loft, we have been planning to add a low wall all around it.
I first brought home 3 truckloads, 18 bundles to this point. Then we set up a painting station where Susan has gone through a gallon and a half of varnish. I have been measuring and sorting, then cutting them to length, getting 3 pieces out of each. I’m drilling a small hole in each end and screwing them to the framework around the loft. As the sticks are quite small, I have calculated that the job will take close to 600 pieces, so that will be over a thousand holes drilled and screws driven. At this point I am half way through the install.
It has also been warm and humid with very little breeze. I don’t remember when or when I have sweated so much that it is running into my eyes and dripping off my nose.

The two photos are Susan at the staining, and part of a new 1 meter wall. In the background, you can see the sticks used in the roof construction. So far it looks promisingly great, I think.

1 comment:

Rum Runner said...

This is way to sweet. We will be down to see it January 16th! I may have to steal this idea for our palapa!